Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Bowing

_________________
Bowing is a very important custom in Japan. Like all traditions here, it dates back centuries upon centuries.



From what I've researched, learned, observed, bowing is a greeting, like a handshake. The custom is taught at a young age. It can be used to say, or for respect while saying, Hello/Goodmorning/etc., Thank you, Thank you very much, I'm sorry, Goodbye, I'm sorry for bothering you, etc. How far you bow depends on the situation, casual, formal, very formal, and the status between the people. The person lower in whatever social heirarchy may apply (age, gender (sometimes), work or family relationships)will bow lower.
For example, this sweet little girl:



I don't really bow too much, but that's because I am always behind on when to do it. So I bow a little late, so they bow again, so then I think I am supposed to be bowing again, so we just keep bowing and then I don't know when to leave, so I dont bow very often. Maybe I'll figure it out later.

I'm not too worried, though as I am learning that this happens to Japanese people as well. According to Wikipedia, "The etiquette surrounding bowing, including the length and depth of bow, and the appropriate response, is exceedingly complex. For example, if the other person maintains his or her bow for longer than expected (generally about two or three seconds), it is polite to bow again, upon which one may receive another bow in return. This often leads to a long exchange of progressively lighter bows."



If you are totally intrigued and want to learn more, here's a great resource.

 
Google